February 17, 2010

Cabbage Roll Casserole

This is another old favorite of ours.  I've always loved cabbage rolls, but the work of wrapping the leaf around is a little too much for me.  I was browsing recipes on Recipezaar and found this recipe.  It's a good recipe, but I of course had to tweak it and double it and make extra for freezing.

This is how I make it for us:
Cabbage Roll Casserole
6 cups shredded cabbage (about 1.5 heads or a bag of coleslaw mix)
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 lb ground beef
1 onion
3 cans of tomato soup
1 can diced tomatoes

As you can see, I double the recipe but don't double the meat.  I use brown rice, and increase the amount of rice to bulk it up a little.  Instead of using 4 cans of tomato soup, I use either 2 or 3, then just subsitute canned diced tomatoes in the place of the soup.  This decreases the sodium and calories, and increases the good antioxidants and vitamins that come from tomatoes.  When I put it all together, I do two 8x8 pans, then cook one and freeze the other.

I have found this SITE very helpful to calculate calories and nutritional content of my recipes.  When I put this one in, I come up with the following nutritional information, and also a grade of A for the recipe.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 362 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 460
Calories from Fat
56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6.2g 10%
Saturated Fat 2.0g 10%
Cholesterol 50mg 17%
Sodium 683mg 28%
Total Carbohydrates 76.0g 25%
Dietary Fiber 6.0g 24%
Sugars 12.9g
Protein 25.7g

Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 70%
Calcium 7% Iron 27%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments: