January 31, 2011

Any Flavor Quiche


This is a response to a reader request. It's a favorite recipe of ours, and though quiche can sometimes seem a little daunting, it's really easy to make ahead for later meals.  I'm going to post a recipe in true Roseanne fashion--first the original, then how I adjusted it to make it work for us.

I start with this recipe for easy as pie crust.  Because I'm making a savory dish instead of a sweet dessert, I do it more like this:
  • 1 1/2 C. flour (use half whole wheat flour)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. sugar (but it can also be left out)
  • 1/2 C. canola oil (or the oil of your choice)
  • 2 T. milk
First, mix together the dry ingredients and liquid ingredients in separate dishes.


Mix them together right in the pie plate. 


Press the crust into the pan.  Bake the crust at 425* for 10 minutes, then set aside to fill.






Nobody show this to my Grandma.  She's such a good baker, and I'm such a slacker.  Yes, it looks terrible, but it sure does taste good when it's done.

Then for the filling for the quiche.  You can use whatever recipe you want, but I found this one (mostly) in the freezer cooking book from 30 Day Gourmet.  It may sound a little gross, but it uses readily available ingredients and can be made lower in fat.  This is per quiche.  I make 3-4 at a time and freeze some.

  • 1/2 C. milk  (we use skim milk)
  • 1/2 C. mayo (I know, I know.  We use light or the olive oil kind.)
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 T. cornstarch (or flour, if you don't have it)
  • Mix these all together.

Here's where you get creative.  Add the following:
  • Around 1 C. of the cheese of your choice.
  • Around 1 C. of the meat of your choice. 
  • Around 1 C. of the veggies of your choice.
  • You can adjust these so that they make about 3 cups total of solid ingredients.  Just make sure your veggies are well drained if you use canned or frozen.  
  • If you use spinach, put in a pinch of nutmeg.  Salt and pepper, or add the spices of your choice.  I really think simpler is better in most cases.

This is mine, with asparagus, ham, and swiss cheese.  I used frozen asparagus, but cooked it first.  Because of the length of time the quiche bakes, I think you wouldn't need to fully cook items first.  Bake at 350* for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.  If we're eating it right away, I tend toward the 50 minute range. 

If we're saving it for later, I undercook slightly.  Allow the quiche to cool fully, then wrap well with aluminum foil to freeze.

Enjoy!




Some other great combinations we've tried--cheeseburger quiche (the original recipe) uses browned ground beef, American cheese, bacon.  Spinach and tomatoes, cheddar, and bacon are delicious.  What's your favorite?

No comments: