January 15, 2010

Easy Creamy Vegetable (or whatever) Soup

So often I hear from friends how difficult cooking is, but it really is very simple.  There are a few basic recipes that can be used to make a lot of different items.  One of our family's favorites is creamy veggie soup.  This is one I make a lot if there is a good sale on fresh vegetables, if I've made a relish tray for a party and had leftovers, or if I just have vegetables I need to use up.

You can start this in many different ways with the same result.  I usually use some stock (broth) I have frozen from cooking, but you can also start with a can of chicken, beef or vegetable broth, or you can use water or dried bouillion.  The best thing to take away from my recipes is that you can change them up using whatever you happen to have on hand or according to your family's taste.

I start with my biggest cooking pot, then put a little olive oil (or butter or vegetable oil) in the bottom.  I don't use very much, probably less than a tablespoon.  I cut up a whole onion and use 3 or more cloves of garlic, depending on their size, and I saute those in the oil.


Once the onions are translucent, I add the broth and then put in the vegetables.  Again, this is to your family's taste what vegetables you want to use and how large or small to cut them.  The time I photographed them, I had a large bag of vegetables that were cut for the relish tray.  I just cut them a little bit smaller, and I use a LOT of vegetables.  This is an 8 cup measuring bowl, and it was filled about to the 8 cup line.  I pour the veggies in the broth, then add more water until it covers the top of the vegetables.


Because I had so many of the vegetables that I used, I didn't add any potatoes, but I often use potatoes along with this.  Bring the pot to a boil, then lower it to medium or medium low temperature and cook for around 20-30 minutes.  Once the vegetables are cooked, I will either drain off some of the liquid or do it as is.


First, I use either flour or corn starch, mix with a little water, and whisk to remove lumps.  This is what will thicken the soup.  Mix it into the cooked vegetables, and turn up the temperature to boil again.  Let it boil for 1-2 minutes, then add milk.  I use powdered milk and less water so that I don't have to cook out as much liquid later.  This isn't exact--I don't really measure.



After I have added in the milk (and you can use any kind of milk, cream, half and half, whatever you choose), I add some seasoning.  I use salt, pepper, cumin (we like the smoky flavor, it's not necessarily spicy hot), and parsley.  Sometimes I add more garlic powder or garlic salt, sometimes cheddar cheese, sometimes bacon or ham, sometimes whatever other flavor we think we need.  I then simmer the soup until we are ready to eat it.  I know this sounds like a long process, but it's very simple to do.  Leftovers can be frozen in baggies.

The best part of this is that you can use any vegetables or add any meat or cheese or spice it up more or less to your family's taste.  Let me know if you try this one, and I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone has.


No comments: