January 4, 2010

Household Money Saving Tip #2 for 2010

 A Bright Idea

We moved into our current home a little over 6 years ago, and I noticed we were changing light bulbs constantly. As a larger home than our previous one, and with more rooms to light, it was crazy to be going through as many bulbs as we were. Shortly after that, our local Ace hardware store started having sales a couple of times a year, in conjunction with our local utility company offering instant rebates, where the CFL (compact flourescent light) bulbs were 99 cents each.

The limit was 12, so I bought to my limit and started using the CFL bulbs to replace every light in the house as they burned out. While we have saved money on our electric bill, the most amazing thing to me is that many of our bulbs are now approaching 5 years of use. The other day, a bulb burned out in a lesser-used socket, and I thought we were at the beginning of the replacements phase.  Much to my surprise, it was the lone remaining incandescent bulb in my house.

If you live in my area, be on the lookout for Ace to run this special again.  When these bulbs can run in the neighborhood of $6 each, you have a tough time seeing the savings, but at 99 cents each they are really worth it--especially with coupons.

If you aren't in my area or don't want to wait for the sale, there is still a decent sale going on right now, with some coupons to sweeten the deal.  You can print two Target coupons on their site (per computer) for $1.50 off GE bulbs, then two of the coupons from coupons.com (on the right, but also HERE).  Stack the coupons for a savings of $2.50 per bulb.


CLIP



While this isn't necessarily a new concept, I am surprised at how many people don't follow this simple step for money and energy savings.  Give it a try.

No comments: