February 7, 2012

Winter Festivals

If you're starting to get cabin fever, there are still a few fairs and festivals in the winter. I've mentioned Travel Iowa a few dozen times, but it really is a great place for all of your local travel needs. Does anyone else think the term staycation is overused? We just like to get out and do things on the weekends.

So, there are several cool events coming up, and I've added them to the free fun calendar on the right side. I find my events in my (did I mention it's FREE?) Iowa Travel Guide, but also by checking out Travel Iowa's website and blog.  If you hit that link, it will take you to a place where you can search by date, but also by the part of Iowa where the event occurs.  You can further sort it down by choosing only certain types of events.  You can also order your own free guide or look at a PDF online.

  • The Extreme Winter Festival in Storm Lake sounds like a great opportunity, especially if you're wanting more rugged sports activities.  I did notice some indoor kids' events and an ice sculpture contest on the list if you're a little more laid back.
  • Kids at the Creek looks like an enjoyable (not totally free) event for family fun.  Located at the beautiful Honey Creek Resort, a whole day of activities for $2 includes: Carnival, inflatables, games, Minute to Win It challenges, Wii Competition, activities, crafts, cooking with Chef and much more! Prince and Princess Contest begins at 4pm.  Feb. 12.
  • The Color the Wind Kite Festival looks like so much fun!  It's set for February 18 in Clear Lake.  Check for more information HERE.
Those are my favorites in the upcoming events category.  Have a fun activity to recommend?  Let me know.

No comments: