April 12, 2011

Cheapout on Gardening -- Lasagna Beds

I've posted before about the concept of using lasagna beds for gardening.  I really like the simplicity of it, and the way that it uses up items we have around the house.  I photographed while I prepared our raised beds, so thought I would again share it step-by-step.

Well...I guess I neglected to take the before picture again.  Picture two raised beds that still had all the stalks and waste from last year.  I did nothing, just left the dead plants in the beds.  To start, I took out the really large stalks and set them aside for the compost bin.  I left smaller vegetation right where it was, then started layering on cardboard boxes.


I remove any tape from the boxes, but pretty well lay them on the way they are.  Then give them a good long soak with the hose.  As always, I get help with this part.



Once it is soaking wet, I start with the next layers.  You can find exact directions, but after much research, it really seems like the order just isn't that important.  After this, you can put in anything you would put into your compost pile:
  • Grass clippings, leaves, and other yard waste
  • Shredded bills or old newspapers
  • Food scraps--fruit and veggie peels, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells
Because I was such an awesome composter last year, I had a ton of good compost to work with for this year's garden.  The view inside my compost box after a good stirring. 


I hauled several buckets of compost over and spread it into the raised beds.  Another good soak, and my garden is mostly ready for planting.  Next week, I will add more Miracle Grow to the top in order to get the smooth, fluffy soil I like for planting.



Again, I will point out that I am very much an amateur gardener.  I also don't use a lot of chemicals, and I don't have hours on end to dedicate to perfecting my craft.  I think that this makes my tips a lot more realistic for people who work or have small children or are like me--lazy, especially once it gets hot outside.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has, and you can also share any tips you might have to help me.  Be sure to click back through the gardening tab in my tag cloud to read other posts I've shared on this topic.

No comments: