April 3, 2011

Six Week Bran Muffins

I promised I would post how I use up those boxes of Raisin Bran that are selling so cheaply on Amazon, so I took pictures when I made this recipe this morning.  This was a recipe my mom made frequently when I was a child, and I always loved it.



Six Week Refrigerator Raisin Bran Muffins

First, you're going to need two really large bowls.  You're making about 6 dozen muffins with this mix, so get out the two biggest bowls in your kitchen.

You'll mix all the dry ingredients first:

  • 1 15 oz box of Raisin Bran
  • 3 cups of sugar (I use about 1.5 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar, so slightly less than 3 cups)
  • 5 cups flour (you can replace half of this with whole wheat flour)
  • 5 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of salt


Then you will mix the wet ingredients in another big bowl:
  • 1 quart buttermilk (you can also use 4 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to make a quart, then allow to sit for a bit)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup oil (you can replace all or part of this with applesauce)

Then combine the contents of both bowls and mix well.



This mixture will keep in your refrigerator for six weeks, if you don't eat it all before then.  I keep it in a pitcher and just pour it into muffin cups and make a little whenever we want fresh bran muffins.   Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or eat it raw with a spoon like I do.  :)

And enjoy!

No comments: