July 31, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Poppers

We had a little family Olympic watching party, complete with all finger foods.  My favorite were some poppers I made with little sweet peppers.



Our store has been selling these bags of sweet multi-colored peppers, and I eat them all the time.  At another time during the summer, I put some cream cheese dip inside a raw pepper and thought it was so yummy, it made me want to try to make some sweet poppers that were also low(er) carb.

So, here is how I did it.

First, I mixed 4 oz of cream cheese with some spices.  I don't always measure, so my best guess is about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon each of: turmeric, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper and onion powder.  1 large clove of garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of chives.


I washed the peppers, then made a small cut in each pepper and put a spoonful of the mixture inside.



Take a slice of raw bacon, stick one end inside the pepper where the cut is, and wrap it around the pepper.


Grill until the bacon is fully cooked, and enjoy!


According to the Calorie Count webpage, these poppers are 177 calories each, with 4.7 total carbs, 38% of your daily recommended value of vitamin A, 270% of vitamin C.  Not bad!

No comments: