October 5, 2010

A Cleaning Cheapout -- Make Your Own Disinfecting Wipes

I've posted before extolling the virtues of vinegar for inexpensive cleaning options. There are some places where you just need something a little bit more, and I love the convenience of Clorox wipes for quick mop-ups of spills, but I'm a little too cheap to buy them.  A friend of mine years ago posted about making his own wipes, and I started doing that.

Someone recently asked me to post about how I make them, and it just so happens that I made them last week and remembered to take pictures of the process.  It's so simple.  If you got in on the Bounty paper towel Amazon deal a while back, chances are your supply closet is stocked with paper towels to use for this project.  You'll have to ignore my hideously ugly kitchen counter. 

So, the process I use:



  1. First, take any roll of paper towels.  I like to use the sturdy Bounty select-a-size paper towels for this project, because they hold together so well.  I cut the roll of paper towels in half lengthwise with a sharp knife.  This roll separated well from the cardboard tube without further intervention, if not, I'll explain that step next.
  2. Next, place half a roll of paper towels in a suitable resealable container.  I re-use the large coffee canisters for this.
  3. Choose your cleaner.  I have a deep love for the purple Pinesol.  It's lavender scented but still has the great cleaning power of Pinesol.  Use 1/2 C. of the cleaner of your choice and 2 C. water, then pour the contents evenly over the paper towels in the canister.  
  4. Replace the lid, shake a little bit, then wait about 20-30 minutes for it all to soak in.  At this time, you can pull the cardboard roll out of the center if it didn't come out before.
  5. You then have your wipes to use.  Pull from the center, and if you are using the select-a-size kind, you can choose a small or large piece, depending on the size of the job.

No comments: