May 11, 2010

Saving Money on Cleaning Products

As I was picking up 4 gallons of vinegar (it was on sale and I had coupons) I thought I should start working on a post about all the many uses for vinegar and how a gallon jug of plain white vinegar can save you money and also help you to be a little more green in your home.  I'll start with how I use vinegar in my house, then I've also got a great link with a million other uses.


  • Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into each load of laundry.  This brightens clothes, reduces mystery odors, and can also replace your fabric softener.  
  • Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into your empty dishwasher, then run it empty to clean out any soap buildup or food residue.  
  • Because I can't bring myself to run the dishwasher with nothing in it, I just use vinegar in every load.  This can replace the rinse aid.  We have really hard water, so vinegar really cuts down on the soap buildup on clothes and dishes.
  • Wash your floors with a mixture of warm water and vinegar (1 cup to 1 gallon of water).  
  • Use vinegar instead of harsh carpet shampoo in your carpet cleaner.
  • Use vinegar and water (50/50) in a spray bottle to clean windows.
  • Run vinegar down your garbage disposal with some ice cubes to clean the blades.
  • Clean your coffee maker by running through a pot of vinegar.
  • Clean your microwave by boiling a bowl filled with (3/1) water and vinegar.
  • A dish of vinegar will reduce kitchen odors or smoke odors in a house.  (Sometimes Apple Cider vinegar will work a little better than white vinegar.)
  • A dish of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap will attract and catch drain/fruit flies.
  • Shower spray!  Use about 1/2 cup with 1 quart of water in a spray bottle to cut down on soap residue.
  • Clean the toilet using about 1 cup of vinegar and 1/4-1/2 cup of baking soda.  Allow to foam up, then sit for a few minutes before scrubbing.
Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I can share the link I found with tons of helpful hints.  I've heard that vinegar is really good at killing weeds.  What is your favorite use for vinegar?


Bookmark and Share

No comments: