June 2, 2011

Wednesday Wanderings -- Scandinavian Days

With summer approaching, I am going to start covering some of the best places to go in and around Central Iowa.  If you want more information about a particular place, you can contact me through the comments here and place a request.  If you have more information to share about a particular place, let me know and I will get it added.  Look for a new post every Wednesday, unless I get too busy or forget.  

Check the "wandering" tab for more of the posts in this series, or the SSSS tab for more ideas for entertaining the short people in your home.

Well, it's not Wednesday, but I want to stick with my theme. I could back date it, but I think we would all know that I didn't write this in time for my self-imposed deadline.

This upcoming weekend is Scandinavian Days in Story City.   If you've never tried it, go!   Story City is a beautiful town, with a gorgeous downtown area.  It's a short drive from Des Moines or Ames, and right on I35.

Just look at this schedule of events!  There's something for everyone (no Kumla, though, the kumla feed is already sold out.)  The events cover the entire town, so make sure you get the chance to see all that you want.

Carousel rides are only $1, or you can buy a punch card for better deals.  The fully restored, wooden antique carousel is just gorgeous.  That thing moves FAST, too, so it's not your average ride.


The community building has a Viking village with a ship and other Viking things to explore.  Everything there is free, except some really great baked goodies and craft items. 



Did I mention the food?

There are food stands all around the downtown area, the fire station is having a hot dog feed, there are meals at the Methodist church and the American Legion.  You will not go hungry.

There is also a parade through the gorgeous Main Street Area

An antique car show

They're putting on a production of Little Women at the historic Story Theater/Grand Opera House. 


There are plenty of bounce house games, train rides, a bingo parlor, and balloon animals.  Ole and Lena's Amazing Race should be good for some laughs.  There are also later events for adults, if you don't always have short people tagging along with you.

No comments: