April 22, 2010

Gardening in Small Spaces, Hanging Baskets

This is another area that I explored last year, and I want to share my methods.  Again, the way I did this isn't new.  I googled and searched and read books to find different ways to do some things.  Everyone has seen Topsy Turvy Tomatoes, but I wanted to try to do this my own (read cheaper) way.  I was able to get hanging baskets with coco liner from Dollar General for about $4.  I've seen them other places for similar prices.


I cut an X in the bottom of the coco liner, then planted some established tomato seedlings so that they came out through the bottom of the basket.  I used good, water-retaining soil and then hung the basket in a sunny area.  I experimented with 2 plants in one basket, and I also planted some peppers in the top of a couple of the baskets and some herbs in others.

My results, including failures and successes:
  • One tomato plant did a lot better than two, and the ones with peppers also didn't do as well, except the smaller variety peppers.
  • These require a lot of water, and because of the small volume of soil, you need to have some that retains water better.  The ones planted in Miracle Gro potting mix fared far better than those planted in regular potting soil. You will need to water frequently.
  • I think the ones with the herbs growing in the top, especially the low-growing ground cover type herbs, were able to retain their water better.
  • The tomatoes I planted in the traditional manner definitely produced more and larger fruits.  The cherry tomatoes did best upside down.
  • The ones in the baskets did have a lot less trouble with pests.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: