April 23, 2010

Bargain High!

We've been saving and planning for a large purchase for the family--a play set for the kids.  This gets a little into my philosophy as well as coupon using, sale watching, and research.  There is a reason why it's called bargain hunting.  You have to carefully stalk your prey in order to be able to afford the best that you can get for the amount you have to spend.

Because of this stalking, I was able to get an $800 play set for just over $600 with shipping and tax included.

I thought I had waited too long, since it is getting close to summer already, and it's usually better to purchase in the off season, but Target put this set on sale for 15% off with free shipping (it weighs over 400 pounds!). I also had a 10% coupon I had been saving, so this made for a great savings. 

$679.15
Subtotal of Items: $679.15
Shipping & Handling: $259.99
Promotion Applied: -$67.92
Free Shipping: -$259.99
-----------
Total before tax: $611.23
Estimated Tax: $36.67
-----------
Total for this Order: $647.90

Next, another benefit to online shopping.  I used an online shopping portal to get about $30 back on this purchase, essentially covering the cost of my sales tax.  I'll outline some options:
  • Ebates would have paid 3% cash back on this purchase.  They send payment either through a check or Paypal.  This amount would have been $18.33.
  • Inbox Dollars also would pay 3% in cash.  They send payment in check once you reach the payout amount.
  • Swagbucks would pay 2 Swagbucks for every dollar spent through their store.  The bucks you earn can buy gift cards or other prizes.  1222 SB would be about the equivalent of around $13 in Amazon gift cards if you purchased the lowest cost gift card available, the $5 one for 450 SB.
  • I chose to go through MyPoints for my purchase.  Through MyPoints, you are paid in points that can be redeemed for gift cards.  I received 8 points per dollar for my purchase, which is 4888 points.  This is the equivalent of about $31 in Amazon or Target gift cards, more if you redeem for some of the "cheaper" gift cards.
  • Every purchase is different, depending on which company you are buying from, or how you want to get paid.  Some stores are only available through one portal or another, so be sure to check every time you want to place an online order.



After that, I went to the grocery store and saved $54 off a $180 total.  That isn't even including the original prices of the many sale items that I purchased.  I would guess I saved around 45% off my bill if the retail prices were figured in.

No comments: