March 30, 2011

Cheapout on Gardening -- Potato in a Bucket

As we prepare for our garden this year, I wanted to post a few ideas that we tried last year. None are original, but it's a good collection of all the cheap ideas that we have tried.  First, you can check out the posts I have already done by clicking the word "gardening" in my tag cloud on the right.  I'll also post the link here, for the people who like to have it easy. 

Today, I'm going to address the potato in a bucket.  It's easy, fun, and a really great container grower.


  1. First, find a good potato with a few eyes.  It doesn't have to be from the seed store, but it might have better results.
  2. Next, find a 5 gallon bucket (I've also seen people use 20 gal garbage cans).  Prepare it by drilling a few small drain holes in the bottom, then you can use some rocks to aid drainage.
  3. Place the potato in a few inches of soil.
  4. As the plant begins to grow, add more soil to cover the plant every time it gets about 6 inches tall.  The plant will add potatoes at each level.
  5. Once the bucket is completely filled with soil, allow the plant to continue to grow until it turns brown.  You can then harvest your potato and save the soil for your next batch.

Note: We are very much amateur gardeners at my house.  I want to do more, but we have gradually added to our gardening attempts over the past several years.  I do use this as a teachable moment for the kids (and me!) and the food we get is an added bonus.  I've found my kids are much more receptive to eating the food we grow ourselves.

No comments: