March 10, 2011

Lenten Challenge AKA the Big Dump

I was shown the 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge by a friend, and decided it would go well with my decision to quit computer gaming for 40 days.  Since I'll have all that extra time on my hands, I will start this challenge in conjunction with it.  You don't have to be religious to participate in the challenge.

If you too are starting spring cleaning (it's that time of the year, isn't it?) I'd love to work together to get the job done.  I am one to make lists but then forget to look at them or lose them.  Because of that, I'm just going to list a few areas that need attention here.  Add your own, and we can all work together.  Leave comments telling what you have done.
  • In the bathroom: medicine cabinets, under the sink, countertops and shower area.  What do you do with your expired medications?  Our town has a day where they collect them all for disposal.  I know flushing is not correct, nor is it a good idea to just throw them in the trash.  You should be able to contact your local hospital or pharmacy to find something in your area.
  • In the kitchen: dishes, tupperware cupboard (I get rid of anything that doesn't have lids), pots and pans, under the sink, pantry, spice racks.  There are so many areas in our kitchen where extra items collect.  I have the added bonus of a tiny kitchen, so this area needs to be cleared out often.   
I did a blog post in October that listed some places to donate your extra items, so you can check that out HERE if you don't want to just throw it all out.  

Locally, our Food at First in Ames is looking for plastic containers, tupperware, etc., with lids so that they can send leftovers home with some of the diners.  If you have any to donate, please contact them.

I thought it would be fun to keep a running tally of the actual number of bags removed so that I wouldn't feel that I haven't done much.

Donated:
  1. One bag of sample-sized, some full bottles of shampoos and lotions, and bars of soap to the food pantry.
  2. One bag filled with outgrown winter coats and jackets, to the clothing closet.
  3. One bag filled with my clothes, to the clothing closet.
  4. One bag filled with puzzles, to the nursing home.
  5. Four bags of childrens clothes, to the clothing closet.
  6. Two bags of childrens clothes, for hand-me-downs.
  7. One bag of towels, to the animal shelter.
  8. One bag of linens, to the clothing closet.
Tossed:
  1. One bag from the bathroom of mostly used or expired soaps and cosmetics.
  2. Two bags of random junk from storage shelves.
  3. One bag of clothes too worn for donating.
  4. Two bags of paper clutter/mail, etc.
Sold:
  1. 29 DVDs, on eBay and through Amazon's trade-in program, after fees and shipping supplies, $22.
  2. 1 bag of childrens clothing to the consigment store, will update later.
Special Circumstances:
  1. One bag of expired meds, sent to hospital for disposal.
  2. One bag of old cleaning supplies, saved in garage for household waste disposal day.
  3. One bag of sticks and leaves, to the fire pit for s'mores (gotta have some fun).
  4. One bag of dog poop, still pending.
  5. One bag of shredded mail to the compost pile. 
  6. One bag of plastic grocery sacks, recycled.
  7. One bag of reusable grocery bags, in the trunk.

Totals so far:
Total bags: 27
Total income: $22

No comments: