May 4, 2011

Wednesday Wanderings -- State of Iowa Historical Building


With summer approaching, I am going to start covering some of the best places to go in and around Central Iowa.  If you want more information about a particular place, you can contact me through the comments here and place a request.  If you have more information to share about a particular place, let me know and I will get it added.  Look for a new post every Wednesday, unless I get too busy or forget.

I asked my kids what I should feature for the next Wednesday Wandering, and they both said, "Historical Building!"   This is one that we really love, and we really love that it's FREE to go.  Located in the East Village of downtown Des Moines, it's easy to get there from I-235.  There are also some really great shops and restaurants in the area if you want to extend your trip.

My four-year-old says she loves "all of it, everyfing, every room."  I was thinking that she would say the mammoth, but she refuses to name a favorite part.  There are three levels with plenty of rooms to love, and every bit has information about Iowa history.

Some displays are just for looking, but there are a lot of interactive areas to keep visitors entertained.  Churn some butter, push a plow, find out what it was like to live long ago.


My seven-year-old says her favorite part is the crafts, of course.  She's my arty one.

You can check out the schedule of events (which almost always includes crafts) by looking HERE.  I usually post events in my free fun calendar when I know about them.  There are scavenger hunt pages for older kids to make their visit a little more meaningful, coloring pages for younger children, and lots of fun.

The Historical Building is not open on Mondays, but it is open from 9 am-4:30 pm Tuesday-Saturday, and 12-4:30 pm on Sunday.  Stop by the gift shop to see unique Iowa gifts, or stop and eat at the Baratta's cafe located in the building.

There is a picnic area outside if you want to pack your lunch.

If there's a place you'd like to recommend or somewhere you want to learn more about, please post in the comments and let us know.  I think we may have gone everywhere in the state, but we might have missed something.

No comments: