November 2, 2011

Cabbage Roll Casserole Rewind

I have posted the recipe for cabbage roll casserole before on my blog, but I just made a ton of it and started thinking just how inexpensive and reasonably healthy this meal can be.

This weekend when I went grocery shopping, I discovered all the necessary ingredients on sale at once.  Fareway's circular plus the price matching for the other local ads made this a very affordable option.  Because I like to make ahead and freeze meals, I made a lot of this family favorite.  I cooked 3 8x8 pans (feeds 4) and one 9x13 pan (feeds 8).  I froze the three smaller ones right away, and I cooked the large pan.  My husband can take the leftovers for lunch, and I often freeze individual portions for later.

You can click the link for the recipe.  I change this up depending on what items I have on hand, so here is the price break down.

Cabbage Roll Casserole
  • 2 cans tomato soup 2/1.00          1.00
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes 2/1.00     1.00
  • 2 cans tomato sauce @.86         1.72
  • 2 lbs ground pork @1.99           3.98
  • 1 bag long grain rice @.99          0.99
  • 4 bags cabbage @.88                 3.52

$12.21
20 servings = 61 cents per serving

I didn't add in the cost of the salt, pepper, or other spices I put in the recipe.  $2.44 for feeding a family of four is very good.  This meal has lots of good veggies, rice, and protein.  I used ground pork, but have also used sausage, ground turkey, and ground beef.  

I also love that I have three more meals in the freezer for other days.

No comments: